Diwali Puja Process
Diwali is the festival of Laxmi, the Goddess of prosperity and wealth. It
is believed that Goddess Laxmi visit everyone during Diwali and brings peace
and prosperity to all. On the night of Diwali "Lakshmi-Pujan"
is performed in the evenings. A traditional Pujan is performed after sunset
in all the homes.
Five pieces of ghee diyas (lamps)
are lit in front of the
deities, naivedya of traditional sweets is offered to the Goddess and
devotional songs are sung in praise of Goddess Laxmi. After Deepawali Puja
people light diyas (lamps) in their homes to usher in light and clear the
darkness from the world.
In villages cattle are adorned and worshipped by farmers as they form the
main source of their income. In south, cows are offered special veneration
as they are supposed to be the incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi and therefore
they are adorned and worshipped on this day.
Step By Step Diwali Pujan:
- First clean the Puja room and then Bathe each Deity (Lakshmi &
Ganesh) first with water, then with panchamitra/or rose water,
followed by water once more
- Now put Deepak (Lamp) in front of the Deities - As the tiny
diyas of clay are lighted to drive away the shadows of evil spirits
- Make a Panchamitra with 5 ingredients of milk, curd, ghee
(clarified butter), sugar & Honey.
- Place Few mithais, snacks & fruits as a prashad.
- Make offerings of flowers, Abir (red colour), Sindoor
(vermillion) and Haldi (turmeric). Light the Agarbatti (incense
sticks) and lamps filled with Ghee.
- Now make offerings of Fruit, Sweet dishes (mithai), Salty snacks
(Mathis, Ghathia, Namakpare) and offer Dakshina (token money), which
could be given to the poor. In the end offer paan (betel leaves),
cloves. Now pray to the deities to seek their blessings.
- Ganesh Pooja : Ganesh Puja is a must for deepavali Puja. (Lord
Ganesha is to be worshipped in all pujas before any other God or
Goddess.) (Ganesh Aarti is sung)
- Laxmi Pooja : Place Lotus and other flowers at her feet as an
offering. A silver coin is placed in front of the Goddess during the
puja. Now perform Aarti with flowers in hand (Lakshmi Aarti is
sung). After Deepawali Pujan have the Prasad and go out to burst