Ingredients (Serve 4-6)
1 cup of coarse Flour Wheat
1-1/2 cup of Blanched Almonds
1 teaspoon of Cardamom Powder
1/4 teaspoon of Crushed Saffron Strands
1 tablespoon of Warm Milk
8-10 blanched Almonds, finely chopped into slivers
1-1/4 cup of Ghee
3 cups of Water
1 cup of Sugar
1. Dissolve the crushed Saffron in the warm milk and keep it aside for some time.
2.Now dry and make a powder of blanched almonds. Save 10 almonds for the purpose of garnishing.
3. Melt some ghee in a large and heavy pan.
4. Add some flour to the ghee. Stir and fry the mixture for about 2-3 minutes.
5.Add some almond powder to the mixture and again stir and fry the mixture till it becomes golden and gives a nice aroma. The mixture should be stirred continuously.
6. Add some water and again stir and cook it.
7. Add some sugar to the mixture.
8. When the ghee starts to exude then add some cardamom and saffron to the mixture.
9. Now stir and place the prepared dish into the serving dish. Garnish it with the chopped almonds.
Recipe by Praneeta Shankar
CHICK PEAS AND POTATOES CURRY
Ingredients (Serve 4-6)
1 can chick peas
3 lbs potatoes
3 cloves of garlic
1 chilly pepper
3 tsp curry powder
1 cup of water
2 tsp vegetable oil
3 leaves shadow benny (optional)
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1. Peel potatoes and cut in quarters.
2. Peel onions and chop finely.
3. In a medium size pan add vegetable oil and heat well.
4. Add chopped onions and chilly pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes or until onions sweat.
5. Add curry powder and stir constantly. Now, add about quarter of a cup water and stir occasionally until curry powder, onion, pepper and garlic becomes a paste.
6. Cook for about 5 mins.
7. Add potatoes, shadow benny leaves (if available) and chickpeas. Stir up and let cook for about another 10 mins.
8. Add remaining water and let cook until potatoes and chick peas is tender.
9. When the sauce consistency is slightly thick add cumin powder, stir up and remove from heat.
10.This chickpeas and potatoes curry tastes great with cooked white rice.
Recipe by Indra Nandlal
Ingredients (Serves 7-8)
1 cup: Sitaphal (Pumpkin) Pulp
2 litre: Whole milk
4 no: Green pistachios, unsalted
4 no: Almonds
1 tsp: Chopped fragrant red rose petals
1/4 tsp: Saffron strands
1/4 tsp: Cardamom powder
3/4 cup: Sugar
1. Crush almonds and pasta coarsely or cut into thin slivers.
2. Boil milk in a clean heavy pan.
3. Simmer for ten minutes after it starts boiling.
4. Stir occasionally while boiling.
5. Add sugar. Stir till dissolves.
6. Take the pan off fire. Add saffron, cardamom, almonds and pistas.
7. Cool to room temperature.
8. Add sitaphal pulp. Chill for 3-4 hours till very cold.
9. Put in individual serving bowls sprinkle a few chopped rose petals to garnish.
10. Serve chilled.
Ingredients (Serves 5)
1-1/2 cup: Blanched Almonds (see Notes)
1 cup: Coarse Wheat Flour
1 tsp: Cardamom Powder
1/4 tsp: Saffron Strands - crushed
8-10 no: Blanched almonds chopped into slivers or halved
1 tbsp: Warm Milk
1-1/4 cup: Ghee
1 cup: Sugar
3 cup: Water
1. Rub and dissolve saffron in milk. Keep aside.
2. Dry and powder blanched almonds. Saving 10 for garnishing.
3. Melt ghee in a large heavy pan.
4. Add flour. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add almond powder. Stir-fry till golden and aroma exudes.
6. Take care to stir continuously.
7. Add water. Stir and cook.
8. Add sugar and cook further. Stirring gently.
9. When ghee starts to exude. Add cardamom and saffron.
10. Stir. Place into serving dish.
11. Garnish with chopped almonds.
12. One may put the dish in hot case to keep it warm. Reheat in microwave or in a pan.
Note: To blanche almonds soak in water for 5-6 hours. Peel skin, dab and air on clean towel till dry. Powder or use as required.
BADAM (ALMOND) KATLI
Ingredients (Makes 35 Katlis approx)
250 gm: Almonds (soaked overnight)
200 gm: Sugar powdered
Few tbsp: Milk
Silver foil (optional)
1. Drain and change water from almonds.
2. Peel almonds. Keep aside.
3. Wash once more to remove any traces of brownishness.
4. Grind to a fine paste using as little milk as possible.
5. In a heavy large skillet mix paste and sugar.
6. Cook, stirring constantly, using a large handled spoon or spatula.
7. Take care of splattering in initial stages.
8. Also, do not stop stirring because the mixture burnt and stuck to bottom of skillet will spoil the taste.
9. When a soft lump is form, which leaves sides of skillet easily, take off fire.
10. Grease a clean work surface and a rolling pin with melted ghee.
11. Put lump on it. Roll quickly while still warm to 1/5" thickness.
12. Apply silver foil and press lightly with foil paper.
13. Mark out long diamond shapes with a sharp knife.
14. When almost cool remove carefully with a sharp edged wide spatula.
15. Cool completely before storing in layers between sheets of butter paper.